Is your iCloud storage full? You can easily free up space instead of buying 5 GBs from Apple. The 5GB storage is enough for other data but you have to pay for it on monthly basis. Most of the iCloud storage is covered up due to backing up your photos, files, voice memos, apps, and text messages. Instead of upgrading your subscription you can g for a cheaper way of cleaning storage. You can easily delete files, photos, app backups, voice memos, and more from your iCloud Drive directly on your Apple device or through the iCloud website.
The data is typically backed up in iCloud by default. This would be good and bad at the same time because it saved your data and on the other hand it fills up the storage. You can save a lot of space by disabling automatic backup especially when it comes to your largest apps. You can also delete text messages to free up iCloud storage. The text messages don’t free up much space but you can delete the entire conversation and entire media with them, which can be helpful.
Find out what’s using up space
When you go to can iCloud to free up space, first find out those files and folders that take much space. At the top of the screen, you’ll see a bar chart of what types of files are filling more of your iCloud space. Most of the iCloud storage is filled up with backups, photos, and messages. Now you will be able to get a good idea to delete those files which take more space.
How to clear iCloud storage
If your iCloud storage is full and you want to free up space, just follow the given instructions:
Delete photos from iCloud storage
The iCloud backs up all of your photos and videos by default. You can save space by deleting any images you no longer want. You can do this on your iPhone, iPad, or the iCloud website. Any pictures you delete in one location are automatically deleted everywhere. Start the photos app and find the photo you want to delete, then:
- Tap and hold the image
- Then tap “Delete.”
- To delete several photos at once, tap “Select”
- Then tap each photo you want to delete to free up space.
- As you delete one or more photos, they’ll also delete from your other devices such as iPad and the iCloud website.
Delete files and folders from the iCloud website
To delete the files and folders from the iCloud website, just follow the given steps:
- Open iCloud.com in a browser.
- Log in with your Apple ID, Click “iCloud Drive.”
- Select a folder that you want to delete.
- Double-click a folder to delete the file that you want to.
- Hold down CTRL while clicking each file to select more then one file at the same time.
- Tap the Delete icon.
Delete unwanted files in iCloud Drive from your iPad or iPhone
The files that take a lot of space and are not in your use, delete them to free up more space in iCloud by following given instructions:
- Launch the Files app on your iPhone.
- Tap “Browse” button on your screen.
- In the Locations section, select “iCloud Drive.
- To delete an entire folder, tap “Select”.
- Choose the folder that you want to delete
- Tap the Delete icon.
- To delete files, open the folder.
- Tap “Select” to choose files
- Then delete them.
Delete app backups from iCloud on your iPhone or iPad
Apps backup is one of the most suspicious in iPhones in the term of filling up iCloud storage. You can delete backups to free up iCloud storage by following these steps:
- Run the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap your account name.
- Select “iCloud.”
- Choose the “Manage Storage”.
- Tap on “Backups.”
- A list of your Apple devices will appear that are being backed up to iCloud.
- Select the name of the device you are currently using to free up space using that device.
- You should now see a list of the five apps that take up the most space on your iCloud storage.
- Turn off the backup feature for any of these apps.
- You can also disable more apps by tapping “Show All Apps.”
- The process is same for any of your other Apple devices from that respective device.
Delete voice memos from iCloud on your iPhone or iPad
To the delete the voice memos from iCloud on your iPhone, follow these steps
- Start the Voice Memos app.
- Swipe a voice memo to the left.
- Tap the Delete button.
- Then select the “Recently Deleted.”
- Tap the recording you just deleted.
- Choose “Delete” to permanently remove the voice memo from recently deleted that will delete after 30 days.
Delete text messages and their large attachments on an iPhone or iPad
The messages will not fill up a lot of space in your iCloud storage, but their large attachments take more space and you can free up space by deleting the messages with their large attachments. Delete text messages and their large attachments on an iPhone or iPad by following these steps:
- Start the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Search a conversation with attachments that you want to remove.
- Select the person’s name.
- Choose “Info.”
- On the Details page, photos should appear in a grid.
- Tap the “Select” icon.
- Select each photo you want to remove.
- Tap the “Delete” icon.
- Go to the iMessage app.
- Select the text you want to delete.
- Tap the “Delete” icon.
You can easily get the 5GB space from Apple on monthly basis fees and can free up iCloud storage in several steps. Most Apple users fill up their iCloud by backups, Photos, and text messages. You can free up the iCloud storage by deleting unwanted files and folders.